Original antique prints of Australian flowers from The Botanical Magazine; or Flower-Garden Displayed, published in association with the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew, London.
This is the longest running botanical periodical, having been started in 1787 and still appearing today under its present name of Curtis’s Botanical Magazine. Many plant species were first described and illustrated in this publication.
The founder and first editor, William Curtis was an apothecary and botanist who held a position at Kew Gardens. He was succeeded in 1800 by John Sims. In 1826 William Hooker became the editor, succeeded by his son, John Hooker. For the first 30 years, the illustrations (3 per issue) were copper plate engravings, hand-coloured at the time of issue. William, his son Samuel and Sydenham Edwards produced many of these plates (1764-1815).
For Australians, some of the most touching plates are those produced before 1805.
Most plates are 235 x 140 mm (9 1/4 x 5 ½ inches); there are also some double plates, 270 x 140 mm (12 ½ x 10 inches). These have folds to fit them into the format of the magazine. Each plate was accompanied by a page or two of text describing the plant. In most cases we supply this text with the plate.
To see larger images of the full prints, please click on the images below.
PC 050 Goodenia laevigata. Plate no 287, 1795, excellent condition. $A 90
PC 027 Diosma ceratifolia. Plate no 456, 1799, excellent condition. $A 70
PC 056 Billardiera longiflora. Plate no 1507, 1812. Very good condition, slight offsetting of text from previous page. $A 75